Currently International Surrogacy is banned in India.
Surrogacy refers to the process in which a woman carries the baby in her womb ‘for’ another couple. The embryo created through IVF using the sperm or egg of the couple wanting a baby is implanted in the surrogate’s womb, hence biologically baby is related to intended parents. The Surrogate’s own eggs are not used hence there is no genetic link between her and the baby. A couple or an individual shall not have the service of more than one surrogate at any given time. A couple shall not have simultaneous transfer of embryos in the woman and in a surrogate.We prefer thin, lean surrogates.
Commercial Surrogacy is legalized in India since 2002.
Who all can act as surrogate?
- As per the ICMR GUIDELINES and ART Regulatory bill 2010 which we follow:
- A surrogate ideally is 21-35 yrs of age.
- A woman can act as a surrogate for 3 successful births in her lifetime.
- A relative, a known person, as well as a person unknown to the couple may act as a surrogate mother for the couple / individual.
- In the case of a relative acting as a surrogate, the relative should belong to the same generation as the women desiring the surrogate.
- She has already completed her family.
- Does not have any medical disease like hypertension, diabetes or epilepsy or any other chronic illness which might impair the health of the baby.
- Have husbands consent before she does surrogacy.
Who all require surrogacy?
- Women with absent uterus or very small uterus
- Women with hysterectomy done for various reasons
- Women with certain medical conditions – uncontrolled diabetes or hypertension, severe heart disease, kidney disease
- Women for whom the prospect of carrying a baby to term is very remote
- Women with unexplained recurrent implantation failure or repeated miscarriages
- Single father
- Gay couples
The prospective parent may be a single man or a male couple who would like to become parents. Single women and men are also finding surrogacy the best way to have their own children with the help of either a donated sperm or egg, as the case may require. Although last three conditions are not legalized in India.
What are the prerequisites and preliminaries for Surrogacy?
We offer comprehensive investigations in these couples:
- As surrogacy is a sensitive matter with ethical, legal and moral issues, the matter is approached very delicately in our clinic. Both the couple and the surrogate mother are made to understand the procedure individually in language that they understand.
- The secrecy is maintained. All information about the surrogate is kept confidential and information about the surrogacy is not disclosed to anyone.
- Both the couple or individual seeking surrogacy through the use of assisted reproductive technology, and the surrogate mother enter into a surrogacy agreement in presence of our highly skilled team which shall be legally enforceable.
- A thorough medical, past and family history of the surrogate is taken. They are medically tested for sexually transmitted and all other communicable diseases which may endanger the health of the child.
What ae the tests done for the surrogate and the commissioning parents?
- We routinely do thalassemia, Rubella screening, VDRL, HIV (I and II), HBsAG, HCV, detailed pelvic sonography for our surrogates to ensure maximum chances of success.
- Even the genetic parents undergone the necessary tests like for HIV, hepatitis B and C and that the results are negative.
- All expenses of the surrogate related to a pregnancy and delivery achieved in furtherance of assisted reproductive technology and till the child is delivered to the biological parent or parents, shall be borne by the couple or individual seeking surrogacy. The birth certificate issued in respect of a baby born through surrogacy shall bear the name(s) of individual / individuals who commissioned the surrogacy, as parents.
What is the procedure for surrogacy?
Similar as in the case of an IVF, stimulation of ovaries is done. Eggs are retrieved and fertilization of the egg with sperm is done in the IVF labs . ( Refer IVF for detailed procedure ). The entire procedure and stimulation is same as done for IVF except that that the embryos are transferred to the surrogate womb . The eggs and sperms may be of the couple or the donor egg or sperm is used in case it is required . Surrogate’s endometrium is prepared suitably with exogenous estrogen and progesterone and after that the embryo is transferred to the womb of the surrogate. The Pregnancy is confirmed by a test 14 days after the embryo transfer. We keep you updated about the developments and progress about the pregnancy. Our surrogates are kept in neat and clean surrogate home under the supervision of a team of doctors, paramedics, nutritionist. The surrogate home is close to the clinic.
Surrogacy for international Patients
A foreigner or foreign couple not resident in India, or a non-resident Indian individual or couple, seeking surrogacy in India must ensure and establish to the assisted reproductive technology clinic through proper documentation (a letter from either the embassy of the Country in India or from the foreign ministry of the Country, clearly and unambiguously stating that:
- The country permits surrogacy
- The child born through surrogacy in India, will be permitted entry in the Country as a biological child of the commissioning couple /individual that the party would be able to take the child / children born through surrogacy, including where the embryo was a consequence of donation of an oocyte or sperm, outside of India to the country of the party’s origin or residence as the case may be. If a foreigner or a foreign couple seeks sperm or egg donation, or surrogacy, in India, and a child is born as a consequence, the child, even though born in India, shall not be an Indian citizen